I have been tagged and need to give five random or weird facts about myself. Here’s how it works:
Link to the tagger and post these rules on your blog. Share five facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird. Tag five people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
I was tagged by Joanna Sandsmark over at her blog, Life in the Middle. I don’t normally play these sort of games, but OK, I’ll try.
So, what 5 random and weird facts would you like to know?
1) As a child I used to hold onto the rail of the escalator all the way down until it disappeared into the metal hole to return mysteriously to the top. These were in the days before it occurred to anyone to put a GUARD on the hole. One day at Gimbel’s I didn’t let go. My hand went into the little hole and the rubber handrail kept trying to pull me in. A security guard managed to hit the emergency stop, but I had to go to the hospital as a lot of flesh was torn from the top of my hand. I was young, so I don’t remember much about it, if I had to get skin grafts or anything, but I do know that for many years I carried this scar on my hand that was really pronounced if I got a tan. It was a giant scar shaped like Lake Michigan, which I always thought was cool considering that we lived on the shore of that lake. Today, however, all that remains is one white scar on my middle finger. I’ll proudly show it to you if you ask. In fact, I show that finger proudly to a lot of people even if they don’t ask.
2) I hate Jello. I have a few reasons for this. As a child I had a lot of medical problems, the least of which was this intolerance of food and basically all I could eat was Jello. Since that’s was all that I could eat for a time, I probably just grew sick of it. But, the crowning achievement of my father and his parenting skills was when he and his brother decided to give me sulz (basically some sort of German concoction of meat and gristle that is boiled and gelatinized into this gross meat fat thing similar to headcheese but one thousand times nastier) and tell me it was Jello. Ha, funny stuff. They must have been proud to be able to outwit a child like that. And to this day, some four decades later, I have yet to eat Jello voluntarily. Hospital stays are hell.
3) I started to get pimples when I reached puberty and I assume I’m still in puberty because I still have pimples.
4) I once applied for a job with the fire department, took all the written exams and passed, took all the physical tests and passed, and then the next step was to go before the review board where they’d determine if you’re firefighter material and I realized the night before — I’m afraid of fire! So I never went.
5) I was once challenged to a duel for an opinion column I wrote in the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee Times. At least that was the message he left while I was out. The challenger was never heard from again.
And those are my five weird and random facts. And now I’ll tag some others, which is fun because I don’t know five other people (ha, just kidding), but here goes. I hope they read this column or they’ll never know (I’m not the type to make tag comments – in other words, I don’t follow the rules so well). 🙂
TJ Writer. She needs something to blog about anyway. She hasn’t updated since the 7th day of December.
Melanie Avila. She can probably find 5 weird and random things from just living in Mexico.
Pete and Carrie. Two with one blow since they share a website.
Soccermom. Let’s see how many LOLcatz pics she can use for this one!